In particular, the parks invite fourth-graders to download a voucher from the “Every Kid in a Park” website to prepare for their visits, which are aimed to prepare them to study the American Revolution in school next year. Here are the sites and their programs for those Saturdays (and in some cases for other days as well).
Minute Man National Historical Park, 9 July
- “The Road to Revolution” multimedia presentation at the Minute Man Visitor Center, every thirty minutes, 9:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
- “Paul Revere Rode Here!” walks at 11:00 A.M., 12:00 noon, and 1:00 P.M.
- Life at Whittemore House, 11:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.
- “Muster the Minute Men!” at Hartwell Tavern, 10:15 A.M., 1:15 P.M., 3:15 P.M. and 4:15 P.M. (This program includes a musket firing demonstration.)
Boston National Historical Park, 16 July
- Bunker Hill Museum, 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
- “Mapping the Battle” at the museum, 11:00 A.M. and 1:30 P.M.
- “Decisive Day” on the Monument grounds, every thirty minutes, 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
- “Of Muskets, Men and Liberty” at the Monument grounds, 11:30 A.M., 12:30 P.M., 2:30 P.M. and 3:30 P.M. (This program includes a musket firing demonstration.)
- “Climb the Monument!” all day with the last climb at 4:30 P.M. (Sometimes closed because of weather.)
Longfellow House–Washington’s Headquarters National Historic Site, 23 July
- Tour Washington’s headquarters, on the hour and half-hour
- “Meet George Washington,” 12:00 noon to 4:00 P.M.
- Dress up as a colonist, 1:00 P.M. and 3:00 P.M.
- “The Road to Revolution,” ranger-led tour of the historic neighborhood, 2:00 P.M.
Salem Maritime National Historic Site, 30 July
- “1774! Rumblings of War!” in town meeting, U.S. Custom House, 11:00 A.M. to 12:00 noon
- Explore the sailing ship Friendship of Salem
- Visit the 1762 Derby House, home of a family that supplied cannon to the nascent Massachusetts army
Adams National Historical Park, 6 August
- “Enduring Legacy: Four Generations of the Adams Family,” a 26-minute film
- “Penn and Parchment: The Continental Congress,” Adams Carriage House at 135 Adams Street, 1:00 to 2:30 P.M.